Here is part 1 of the most valuable vintage baseball cards according to top collectors
Sports cards, especially baseball cards that were printed prior to 1960 are thought to be worth well over a million dollars in today’s market. The recent sports cards boom has made people realize that they might have a highly valuable sports card in their collection, and now is the time to get it graded and sold. In our first installment, we take a look at the top 5 most valuable vintage baseball cards. Read about them below.
T206 White Border Honus Wagner 1909-11
- This card was released by the American Tobacco Company in 1909 and is considered one of the rarest sports cards to ever exist. They are worth well over a million dollars, even in poor condition. The T206 set has a lot of famous cards and not all of them are as rare as this one.
American Tobacco Company ceased production of this card and as a result only 50-70 of such are estimated to be in existence. One popular story is that Honus Wagner did not like seeing his image being used to promote tobacco, especially amongst the youth, so the American Tobacco Company was talked out of printing this card in the future. There are a lot of fakes available in the market today, and it is imperative to get your T206 Honus Wagner card graded by a reputable professional service.
Topps #311 Mickey Mantle 1952
- In 1952, Topps sports cards were first introduced in the market. The #311 Topps Mickey Mantle 1952 card is worth over 5 million $ because of its rarity.
In 1960, Topps head card manager Sy Berger dumped hundreds of card sets into the Atlantic Ocean because low sales were choking his warehouse. As a result, even ordinary cards are easily worth a hundred thousand dollars.
M101-5 Sporting News Babe Ruth Rookie Card 1916
- This is an incredibly rare card belonging to the M101-5 card set featuring 200 sports cards. It features Ruth during his early years in the Boston Red Sox uniform. The back of the card usually has an advertisement printed, however, some cards have blank backs too.
In PSA-8 grade, this card is worth over a million dollars and is incredibly difficult to find. These cards rarely make a debut at the leading sports cards auction platforms, and when they do buyers are ready for a quick purchase.
M101-4 Sporting News #151 Babe Ruth Rookie Card 1916
- The M101-4 sports cards set was printed shortly after the M101-5 set was made available to the public. In both these sets, Babe Ruth is featured at #151, therefore it is difficult to establish which set this card belonged to.
In PSA-8 condition, this card is expected to sell around a million dollars. The #151 Babe Ruth sports cards are also incredibly rare and only a few of them have been seen. If there is a Sporting News ad on the back of the card, then it definitely belongs to the M101-5 set.
T206 Ty Cobb Tobacco (Ty Cobb Black) 1909-11
- The PSA 4.5 grade of this sports card is estimated to be worth well over a million dollars. The T206 sports card set is known for the numerous advertisements placed on the back of the card, with experts calculating the total combinations to be around 5,500.
The Ty Cobb Tobacco card is an extremely rare card, with only 22 to exist today. In 2016, 7 copies of these cards were found in a paper bag and were referred to as ‘The Lucky 7’ find.
We, at Golden Card Breaks, are the largest sports cards, distributor, and seller. We offer card breaks, group grading, and consignment sales. Contact us today and become a part of the sports cards collector family.