Are you new to card breaking? Here is a simple guide on shipping baseball cards
For those of you who have no idea what a baseball card is, simply put a baseball card is a type of sports card which is usually made out of either a thick type of paper or paperboard. This card normally contains an image of a certain baseball player, location, or memorabilia along with a short description of the picture or other text like stats or trivia.
Buying and selling baseball cards is something that started as a hobby and today it has reached a place where a lot of people use it as a way to make a living. So, suppose you are someone who just got into the world of selling baseball cards and you have sold your first set of cards either on eBay or any other online market or store. The next step is to ship these cards in a way that they reach the customer on time and in one piece.
Shipping a baseball card can be done in a variety of ways and you can choose the best method based on your preference or convenience. For instance, some people wrap every single card individually and separate them all with dividers and place them in a hard box while others will just chuck them together in a single envelope. So, it is important to note that no method can be considered wrong and it is all just based on your preference.
However, there are some steps that need to follow especially if you are a beginner in the world of shipping baseball cards in order to make sure that everything goes smoothly and you can make as big a profit as possible. Here we will discuss those steps in brief detail;
Step 1: Getting the Right Material to Pack the Cards
- The most important part of the shipping process is to make sure that you get the equipment that is necessary for successful shipping. If you are someone who is looking to ship a large number of cards in bulk form then it is paramount that you get the best equipment possible to make sure that everything gets delivered in one piece and nothing gets lost.
Conversely, if you are a person who is selling their cards in a smaller quantity then it will be beneficial for you to purchase the following equipment;
- Cardboard strips to place between the cards
- Painters Tape
- Team bags if you are selling cards from different teams at once.
- Card savers
- Penny Sleeves
Getting all of these items will ensure that you ship your cards in a properly organized manner so that they reach the customer in pristine condition.
Step 2: Determining your Order Size
- Before you decide to ship out your cards to your customers it is crucial that you properly research the destination country’s size and weight requirements for shipping as well as the cost. These details are important because they are a contributing factor in making a profit on your initial sale. You can use various shipping techniques based on your client’s location and the value of the cards that you are shipping.
For example, if you are shipping cheap cards to a client that you trust then you can easily send these cards using plain white envelopes. However, if you are selling some of your most valuable and prestigious cards it is important that you properly package them to make sure that they reach the client in the condition in which they were initially shipped.
Step 3: Properly Packaging your Card
- The quantity and value of the cards as well as the customer’s priorities all play a key part in choosing the best method to package your cards. If you are shipping out a relatively high-value card then it is important that you follow proper steps so that they are delivered to the customers in great condition.
In addition to this, if you are shipping graded cards it is a good idea to take more precautions while you are packaging these cards because of their added value.
Step 4: Applying Postage to your Cards
- Weighting your package beforehand will give you an exact idea of the amount you will have to pay for shipping as well as the type of postage that needs to be used. In some cases, you will be able to get away with using a few stamps while in others you will be required to purchase protective envelopes that have been prepaid for postage.
Step 5: Posting the Mail
- The next step is to put your package into the mailbox. There are multiple ways to perform this step based on the weather conditions. You can put the package in the mailbox yourself or get help from a courier in case of snow or rain. It is also a good idea to deliver the package straight to the post office in inclined weather conditions to ensure that the package does not get damaged by rainwater.
In the aforementioned text, we have discussed a series of steps that can be followed in order to successfully ship your baseball cards to your customers in the most efficient way possible. If you have any more questions or queries regarding the sports card shipping process or if you are looking to get your pre-owned cards collection group graded, you can reach out to us today at Golden Card Breaks.